Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Write Way?

Tonight I had a realization that I am not a good writer. I am a mediocre writer who has been published in some things, but I am not what should be classified as a good writer. Before I alway thought I was good and needed a lot of honing and work in order to be excellent. But, after reading some of the stories written by fellow classmates, I came to the conclusion that I am out of my league.
I am petrified at the thought of my work being critiqued next week. I don't have the complexity that other people have in their writing. I think my will look too simple. Kind of like the country cousin in a room of sophisticated urban people. I knew that this class would be a humbling experience, but I guess I had not thought about how humbling it would be.
It is amazing how interaction with others can change your impression in one day. Yesterday I was beaming with pride over the story I had written. It was personal and beautiful. Simply stated. Now, I am beginning to think my simply stated is just plain simple.
Today was a momentous day...my parents are on their own. They have sold their house and they are now living on the road, traveling in their trailer. I find it so exciting and romantic. They can travel where they like. They can explore and have adventures. I hope that when I am ready to retire, I will be able to do that. They are promising postcards from every state. And, I am going to show them how to start their own blog so they can keep everyone abreast of their journeys.
Most wonderful of all today, I learned that my family will be trekking to my home this Christmas. After six years of traveling home to everyone else, I am now going to be hosting Christmas this year!
Also, it looks like my grandmother will be moving in with me in 2 weeks. This will be a great opportunity to get to know her and become closer.
So many things going on personally, professionally and scholastically. I hope I can make it through the end of the year.