Friday, December 17, 2004

Spiritual Being

"We are not human beings trying to be spiritual. We are spiritual beings trying to be human." - Jacquelyn Small

I read this quote today and it spoke to me. It is a wonderful way to look at life. As human creatures, we are unlike anything else alive on the planet because we have this ability to get in touch with the spiritual. Perhaps some people would say that animals have spirits and I don't doubt that. However, we, as humans, have an awareness of spirituality. We have this innate ability to have faith. Infalliable, amazing faith.

This quote explains to me the grappling that occurs between my soul and my brain. It is the soul that houses the spiritual me...the me that sees beauty in a sunset, art and people. My brain contains the part of me that embraces reality, truth and science. For me, both sides are close to my heart because both let me know that I exist and feel.

My spiritual self allows me to appreciate a piece of art that speaks to me. It allows me to have the power to cry and have an emotional reaction to shapes and colors on a canvas and make sense of it.

My human self allows me to appreciate the physics and order of my world, the stars and numbers. I like the concrete. I like the exercise I am able to give my grey matter.

In the end, I think the core of this quote is that our spiritual self knows we exist. The human side, needing evidence, is not so certain. I think I will try to refer more often to my spiritual self...it has a better connection to my needs and passions.

I'm not so sure I want to strive to be human anymore. I think I would rather work on being a better spiritual being--the place where I started life.

No comments: