Thursday, December 23, 2004

No More Paper

I love Christmas, but if I see anymore wrapping paper or tape, I think I will go insane. All I have done the last few days is wrap gifts. I guess this is a good indication that I have gone a little overboard. So, what can I do to meet a compromise? I enjoy buying gifts for those I love, but I get tired of wrapping them. Maybe I should begin to invest in having the department store wrap my gifts. This may be incentive in not going too crazy with the purchases.

The other paper that has driven me crazy is the paper that makes up my Christmas cards. I full-heartedly believe in old-fashioned mail. I e-mail all the time, but there is nothing like receiving a true letter in the mail. It is the joy that I have in writing and the recipient has in receiving it. However, at Christmas...sending out 50 or so Christmas cards is a little cumbersome. I think if I had more time, I would probably hand make each one and include a note, but this year, my spirit and heart just wasn't there. I wanted to simply just get the cards in the mail. Does this mean I am beginning to lack in those values I am endeared to? I hope not. Perhaps my only solution is to stop making friends. Just kidding. I think my solution is to remember that sending out these cards will bring a smile to someone's face and let them know they are special to me.

I think that is truly what the holidays are about...not paper, cards, wrapping, gifts, shopping...the season is about friends and family. Letting them know how much I care for them and love them. Letting them know that they are the ones who have helped me become the person I am. Friends and family are the personification of my heart and soul. They understand my imperfections, passions and strengths. Christmas is about sharing all of this...and then remembering it throughout the year.

Christmas is about the birth of the Messiah, but also about what He stood for. Love, compassion, understanding, promise and hope.

"An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.'" Luke 2:9-11

No comments: