Saturday, December 11, 2004

Something So Sad

It is the first Saturday after the end of the Semester--my first weekend during my winter break--and what am I doing? I am sitting at my desk at work. Already I have been here an hour and a half. I am thinking this is pathetic. No one should be at work on Saturday, but on the first free Saturday a person has...no homework or papers.

However, there is something so nice about working on a Saturday. It is quiet. No phone calls; the only sound is the music coming from the CD player. Music I can play as loud as I want without disturbing anyone. There is something peaceful about the office on a Saturday. I actually enjoy my work much more. Yes, this is something even sadder.

After working, I have shopping to look forward to--Christmas Shopping. Or, is that holiday shopping? Which one is more politically correct? Or, does it matter since this is my own personal blog? Should I worry about offending any of my readers?

Yesterday, a friend and I were discussing political correctness. Is it going too far when people expect you to change who you are and where you come from in order to appease them? Whatever happened to Tolerance? What happened to people tolerating the views and differences of others? Why are we forcing everyone to be the same?

The reason I love living in the States is because we are all so different. We all have different backgrounds, skin colors, religions, beliefs and beautiful wonderful lore. We are a diverse culture.If people can't understand that, then I think I am sad for our country. I am sad for those who don't understand that all of these differences are what make us an amazing citizenry. Before political correctness...we need understanding, appreciation and, again, tolerance. If we can't grasp that then I am sad for all of us.

My suggestion for the day: Learn from those around you. Learn from their differences. Not only do you have a better appreciation for them, but you will also have a better understanding of who you are.

No comments: