Friday, May 25, 2012

Talk to the Belly


I am amazed at the love I am feeling already for this little being growing inside me. I am 23 weeks into my pregnancy and our little Baby Dragon (yes, that is our nickname for our little one) has already endeared herself or himself to us. We have already given the baby some personality traits based on its activity throughout the day (boy, this baby moves) and its bit of attitude when we go in for ultrasounds. But, most interesting is that the baby's presence is so strong already that we talk to him or her quite often.

It isn't uncommon for me to talk to the baby in the mornings as I get ready for work. Wandering around the house, I find myself telling him or her about what I am doing and my to-do list for the day. It is just second nature.

"Mommy is feeding the cat. Hear her meowing. She is so silly. And, then we will eat some breakfast."

I also sing in the car (well, I did this before I was pregnant) and will talk to the baby about the song that is playing.

"Oh, mommy loves this song. She and daddy danced to it at their wedding. Daddy was so handsome."

But, then in a moment I stop myself and look around me. It seems a bit crazy what I'm doing. I'm talking to my still-developing baby while it's in my belly. Is it crazy?

They say that right now the baby's ears are developed and can hear sounds from outside. One of the things that attaches a baby to its mother and father are their voices. After hearing these voices from inside the womb, they are comforting and familiar to the baby right after it is delivered. Quite amazing.

Of course this understanding of the baby's listening ability is also what prompts parents-to-be to purchase little speakers that can be put on the mother's belly with the other end attached to an iPod. If you want your child to be cultured, why not start now? How about a little Mozart through the mini-speakers? Or, I have also seen a small device that supposedly emits noises that are aiding in your developing child's learning ability. You can give birth to your child and immediately give it an IQ test and begin to pick out colleges-- it's been learning all this time (I'm being sarcastic, but the ads practically claim this)!

Every week I read about the baby's development and what he or she is able to do. Only 23 weeks ago, there wasn't even a fetus in my body, but now there is a being with moving hands and feet, a beating heart, little lips that are already suckling, and ears that hear what I'm saying.

Although I may give pause to whether I seem a bit off for talking to my belly...I know I am going to keep doing it. As much as it is comforting to the baby inside, it's also comforting to me.

So don't mind the lady talking to her ever-expanding belly. She's just doing a little bonding with her baby.

Just a note: The photo - not my belly.

No comments: