Saturday, May 12, 2012

First Photos

When you are a pregnant woman over the age of 35, there is a lot of caution given to you by your physician. You are at higher risk for everything. And, you undergo every test possible to seek the actual chances. My statistics for risks thus far have been proven low, for my age - thank goodness. The pretty cool perk that comes with all of this caution is you get way more ultrasounds. These are a treat!

So, yes, Ry and I bask in the glow of this little science project that is currently growing in my belly and ultrasounds are pretty cool just from that aspect. I am still awe from the last ultrasound...we saw my little baby's heart - I mean really saw his or her heart. All its chambers pumping away, delivering blood to the baby's body. Amazing! We also saw the baby's brain and spine, long lean legs (crossed at the ankles, by the way), the toes that have been kicking at me, and the little hands. Science has let me see my baby's first photos.

We look forward to ultrasounds not just because we can see some amazing things happening each time, but also because it is our one glimpse at the little baby with whom we are already extremely attached and smitten.

Last time we went in for an ultrasound, the technician was a bit peeved because the baby was not facing the right way so we could not have an image of that perfect baby profile. The baby's back was facing outward. The tech moved the wand around, trying to coax the baby. Our little dragon gave in part of the way. We could see part of the face, the remainder was resting against the placenta. We were giggling. Already, this little one has its own little personality and attitude it seems. This journey is a fantastic one. I look forward to holding my baby for the first time, but right now...I am enjoying his or her first photos.

Introducing Little Dragon...the ultrasound you see is from 13 weeks. You can see the baby's profile, a hand just below the chin and farther down a foot and toes.

No comments: