Monday, November 10, 2008

Current read has me in awe

Last week I started reading The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers. He is a German author whose books I stumbled upon while perusing for the brilliant red dot that indicates a used book at Changing Hands Bookstore.

I was interested in the story(according to the back it a tale of adventure. And, when choosing a book, any chance to awaken my imagination is a huge plus for me. I tend to read books that allow me to escape.

Oh, it is so much more than I thought it would be! It is a good antidote for Harry Potter readers who yearn for the fantastical creatures and environments created by J.K. Rowling. Mr. Moers has a wonderful imagination. He has not only put in front of me a new world and habitants but a history and context for each character I meet. He paints a picture that makes my lips curl up into a smile every time I open the pages. And, to bring alive the child inside, I am surprised and delights by endearing illustrations of the characters he has drawn.

You may think it is a children's book, but it's not. It's an adult fiction book that takes me on an adventure whenever I turn the page. It is a book that gives me permission to go back to the days when I would anticipate the mobile library and the Choose Your Own Adventure Books. It has brought back to me an enthusiasm I have not had for books since reading Harry Potter, Narnia Chronicles or Lord of the Rings.

I haven't finished the book, but I am hooked! I am determined to read his other books so I can meet more of the inhabitants of Zamonia. His book is a great pick for those adults who want to indulge their imagination.

No comments: