Sunday, May 01, 2005

Dancing

This weekend has been busy and full of furious activity as I prepare for my thesis defense this Tuesday. To get out of the house and get a few things done ahead of time, I headed to Kinko's.

After making some copies and cropping a few pieces for mounting, I walked out into the darkness. The air was cool...I soaked it in because soon summer weather would bring warm evenings. I walked slowly to the car, clutching the color copies to my chest. I opened the car door and put the copies in the passenger seat. As I walked around the back of the car to the driver's side, I noticed a young couple standing outside of a silver pick-up truck. The man reached into the truck and turned up the radio. The faint sound of a soft fiddle drifted across the blacktop of the parking lot toward me. The perfect music for a night like this. Then the man put his arm around the woman, her head rested on his shoulder. They began to dance under the golden light of the parking lot light.

Slowly they swayed back and forth. He stretched out one of his arms with her hand clasped in his and they started to do fancier steps. His foot overlapping hers. From far away I could see they were smiling and laughing to one another. I could feel the happiness and love of the two strangers across the parking lot.

I felt honored to witness such a sweet moment. These two made me yearn for my love in New Mexico. Soon, he'll be home. Being separated from him this last year taught me so much about love and its importance. I don't want to ever take him for granted. I want to cherish and savor every moment we share together. We can share an impromptu dance. We can share a positive laugh. We can share intimate secrets, letting others only guess what makes us smile.

I will take every moment I can to dance, every moment to laugh, every moment to love and every moment to smile. Isn't that what life is about? Seizing the good moments.

No comments: