Friday, October 03, 2008

Unaccustomed Earth

Before reading Breaking Dawn, I absorbed the wonderful prose that is Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth. The second book of Lahiri's short stories, it was a breathtaking surprise that I was delighted to imbibe. Her writing has grown into something complete. I loved each of her books before --The Namesake and Interpreter of Maladies. She introduced me to characters I enjoyed learning about, but I was always wanting more. Sometimes, the second half of the story seemed rushed or unfinished. But, Unaccustomed Earth is different. It is perfection.

Each story left me full and satisfied. Each story came full circle with depth and emotion. And, she played with different angles and writing styles. I was beyond impressed with this book. I cannot wait until she comes out with another novel, letting me back into her Indian-inspired world.

No comments: