Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I'm THAT Woman

Yesterday, while wandering the aisles of Walgreens searching for allergy medicine, I was talking to my best friend, Rachel, on my cell phone. When I got to the allergy section of the store, I was talking with animation and laughing at something witty she had said. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that I was getting the "how rude" look from a lady nearby. Omigosh! I give that look to people who talk loudly on their cell phones! Eek! I became THAT lady.

For a fleeting moment, I remembered my conversation with my husband about how much I hate those little ear pieces for cell phones and how it seems to give people the right to just wander around and talk to themselves without concern for courtesy in public places. argh! And, then here I was wandering around with my phone suctioned to my ear, laughing loudly.

Then, I truly became THAT woman and said, "I don't care. I'm talking to Rachel and we would be loud if she was here with me. What's the difference?" eek! In one minute I made an excuse for myself and countless others who have thrown proper public decorum to the wind. Wasn't talking to a friend whom you love and cherish much more important than being proper?

I am still conflicted about my actions last night. I have strong feelings about rude cell phone users who talk while eating in the booth next to me, who talk so loudly that I can hear them four grocery store aisles down, or those who are so engrossed in their conversation they don't even notice the other human beings in their vicinity. I certainly didn't do that, but I was rude enough that I even talked to Rachel while I ordered a hot chocolate at Starbucks. I hate that! And, then I did it. Blah!

So, I think I will just leave my blog entry at the point where I say I am a hypocrite when it comes to cell phone usage and will have to think long and hard about becoming a model cell user, setting the example for others or will I just become one of THEM.

BTW, it was wonderful talking to Rachel. She always brightens my day. Sis, next time a strange guy stands a bit too close to you, before parting, just smile widely and say, "Was it as good for you as it was for me? Don't be a stranger; call me." That should shock them to pieces.

And, just for Rachel, http://www.bernardfanning.com/content.cfm?news.cfm Bernard Fanning is giving the scoop on his Los Angeles sabbatical. It looks like his band Powderfinger is making a new record in Hollywood and he is blogging about his adventures. Can't wait to see him in concert again.

On the music front...current obsessions: Maximo Park, Travis, Rilo Kiley and Bloc Party. We saw Travis and Maximo Park perform at The Marquee in Tempe. What a show!!!

On the book front...Plowing through the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series. Love her use of history and she draws fantastic characters. She also bestowed some wonderful wisdom to me on writing books that has been super helpful in the my latest endeavour.

Ciao!!

1 comment:

rachelsaysso said...

I'm totally THAT woman when I talk to you too. This is why I always try to call you on my drive home. Although once I was in Borders chatting with you and was trying to be as quiet as could be and a man still came over to me and said, "You're being really loud." Yikes! I was just as conflicted.

And Bernard!!!!! Here in LA!!!!! I'm going to have to stalk him. I'm so excited.