Thursday, December 13, 2007

Atonement -- I'm still floating

Why am I floating? Why I am having a renewed passion for movies? Atonement. I went and saw the film yesterday afternoon with some friends. I had been looking forward to seeing it for months because it is based on one of my favorite books, it stars the brilliant James McAvoy, and Joe Wright made me a fan with Pride and Prejudice.

I was not disappointed.

I have to say this is the best film I have seen in a very long time. It was gorgeous. Every moment of the telling of this story was a treasure. And, it was the small gestures with poetic and strong meaning that he framed in such poignant ways that often it took my breath away. This is a story of a love that was never truly realized because of the misactions of another. Keira Knightley and James McAvoy were brilliant; making me feel their pain, ecstasy and anger.

Joe Wright...wow! He is a cinematic genius. The sweeping landscapes of the war captured as though tableau, but with reality pulling and biting at you. And, the editing was moving. Each frame flowed from one to the other seamlessly and with the beauty of a perfectly performed ballet. The music and sounds on the movie lent to character intensity and emotion. Everything was just so right on and perfect.

I was gushing all night about the movie to my husband, believing again that films can be wonderful. They don't have to be shoot 'em up extravaganzas or sweeping epics of massive budget proportion. Film can once again encapsulate human emotion and bring a dose of it to the audience so that the characters become a part of you.

I cannot wait to see the next Joe Wright film. What kind of joy and yearning will he bring to cinema fans next time?

p.s. Mr. McAvoy...you are truly brilliant. You have brought new hope to this movie fan that actors can be passionate about their craft. And, in this time of tabloids, gossip and self-indulgence, you have shown that it is possible for an actor to be a class act off-screen. When you are finished with your break from acting, know that there will be people waiting to see where you go next.

No comments: